Who helps with Space Adventure Camp?
- A minimum of 12 carefully screened and trained teen 4-H camp counselors will be with the campers 24/7. These counselors will have completed a minimum of 40 hours of training prior to being selected to work at the camp.
- Round-the-clock adult supervision is provided by faculty and volunteers from Ohio State University Extension.
- Teaching staff includes five science faculty from Marietta College and several science faculty from Marietta City and Warren Local Schools.
What is the cancellation policy?
- Any cancellations received up through May 3 - full refund (call Travis at 740.596.5212 if you plan to cancel)
- Cancellations up through May 31 - 50% refund
- Cancellations after June 1 - no refund
- NOTE: If you do not submit your paperwork by the deadline, your child may forfeit his/her space in camp.
- NOTE: Camp forms are required to be submitted in advance. We need time to review all forms, including the Health History Form, prior to the start of camp.
Where do we live while at Space Adventure Camp?
- You and a roommate will share a dormitory room on the campus of Marietta College. For three days we can pretend we are college students as we will eat in the campus cafeteria, complete our activities in the Rickey Science Center, and learn about our universe in the Anderson-Hancock Planetarium. There's time for lots of outer space games which are truly fun!
- Most rooms have two beds and enough closet, drawer and desk space for all your things. A few rooms house four students. All the rooms on a floor share a bathroom and showers.
- Your room assignment and key will be given to you at registration. Security information will be shared during orientation. In the meantime, you and your family need to know that you will have to pay for any damage or lost keys for which you are responsible. Marietta College will charge $300 for lost keys.
- NOTE: The 4-H Space Adventure Camp is held at Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio. Please see Directions tab for location of Marietta, Ohio.
Never been away from home?
Well if you have a friend who might also want to attend this camp, encourage them to enroll too and you can list them as your 'preferred roommate' on the application.
What is the phone call policy?
Phones are not available on campus for you to use. The staff will have cell phones to be used for emergencies only. Campers are also asked to leave cell phones at home for the three days of camp so you can focus fully on the activities and events of the camp.
Can parents watch any of the activities?
A launch demonstration and graduation is planned for the last day of the camp. Parents, you are invited to join us Thursday at 5:00 p.m. for a demonstration launch of some of the flying machines made during camp. We will be launching on the soccer field just beyond our dorm, so start at the dorm. Following the launch, we will then walk the 2-3 blocks to the McDonough Center Auditorium for the graduation ceremony which begins at 5:30 p.m. or soon thereafter. If you can’t join us for the launch, plan to meet us at McDonough Center for graduation.
What should I bring to Space Adventure Camp?
- adequate amounts of comfortable clothes
- swim suit and towel
- jacket or sweatshirt
- soap, shampoo, toothbrush and paste
- personal toiletries
- bed linens (sheets, blankets, pillow, etc.)
- towels and washcloths
- clothes hangers
- alarm clock
- hair dryer
- a fan for your dorm room
- ball gloves, Frisbees, etc.
- camera (optional)
- snacks to share in your dorm room
- money for the vending machines (pop, snacks, etc.)
What should I NOT bring to Space Adventure Camp?
- no knives, pen knives, fireworks, or other items that might cause injury
- no cigarettes, snuff, or chewing tobacco
- no alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
- no cell phones
- no gameboys, playstations, etc.
- do not bring a lot of extra money - the college bookstore will be open Thursday until 4:30 p.m. if you want a college souvenir.
What are the check out procedures?
You will need to have all your belongings packed by 1:00 p.m. Thursday. Campus Security will let us keep our stuff locked in our rooms until after the graduation ceremony. Following graduation, you and your parents can return to the dormitory where you will do a final clean up of your dorm room and then return your key after getting your luggage out of your room.